Case Study: Research, Evaluation & Design
Action for Children’s Arts
always possible worked with Action for Children’s Arts to assess the feasibility of their Arts Backpack ambition.
Action for Children’s Arts (ACA) is the national voice of children’s arts in the UK. In 2018 they conceived of the idea of the Arts Backpack UK, and launched it at the National Theatre. The project’s vision was to ensure every primary school child in the UK has at least five quality cultural experiences in the school year.
To determine the feasibility of such an ambitious project, ACA sought support from always possible to unravel the intricacies of introducing the Arts Backpack initiative nationwide, to ensure it was both practical and held the potential to genuinely enrich the lives of young learners.
The always possible team, with insights from children’s theatre expert Michael Judge, embarked on a thorough exploration of the children’s arts landscape.
The idea of the Arts Backpack was brimming with potential, but there were questions to be answered about funding, content curation, and universal accessibility.
- Stakeholder engagement: conversations with children, teachers, parents and arts organisations
- Research and analysis: delving into arts education practices, funding models and global initiatives
- Case studies: in-depth exploration of how elements of existing cultural engagement models could be extended or amplified
- Clarity around demand and appetite
- Recommendations about content and accessibility
- A clear funding strategy
- A Feasibility Study report, presented at the House of Lords
- Funding unlocked for pilots across the UK
More case studies
apRESEARCH case studies
Case Study: Research, Evaluation & DesignArts Council England - evaluation always possible was appointed as independent evaluator of the Arts Council England (ACE) Investment Principles Resource Hub. ContextACE is the national development agency for...
Case Study: Research, Evaluation & DesignEKC Group - Skills Renewal Project pilot evaluation ContextEast Kent College (EKC) received money from the UK Community Renewal Fund (UKCRF) to enable them to pilot innovative new approaches and programmes in their...
SPOTLIGHT: Health Education EnglandHealth Education England is a public body responsible for the overseeing of the education and healthcare training of the healthcare workforce in England. HEE's vision is to improve the health and wellbeing of patients and the public...